Thursday, April 12, 2012

An Unexpected Surprise

We found out that our auto insurance rocks!!! It comes with free roadside that includes towing. Now the hubby and I figured that it would include 1 tow. When we found out that the place hubby had the car towed to did not work on our type of car, we were surprised but, not in a good way. When the tow truck dropped it off the place was closed for the weekend already, because of Easter. Hubby did not know how we were going to pay for a tow. He called on the insurance company and they said no problem, where is your car, and when can the tow truck pick it up.   That is total awesomeness!! Tow truck comes and takes the car to another place, a place that worked on our truck when we had it. They did great work on the truck and they were reasonable. The looked at the car and said the timing belt broke, which is what hubby figured cause we were warned it would break. We just had not gotten it fixed yet. They quoted us at least 2500 bucks to fix the car. Hubby said no way!!! We could pay another 500 and get a brand new motor with zero miles. So another tow was in store cause hubby and I were not about to pay that amount.  We asked the insurance again and again they said no problem. Hubby asked them how many tows will you pay for? No more than 15 a month was there answer. Wow that is a lot of tows, but good to know. So we took it to the people that fixed our ball barrings, why hubby did not take it to them in the first place, is not a question I asked, but just said OK. They have had it for 3 days now, and tomorrow it will be ready. And praise God that not one arm was bent when the belt broke. Because of that we are getting a tune up, an oil change, our motor mounts fixed, our ac recharged, a new water pump, and of course a new timing belt for just below 1100 dollars. Still a lot of money, but not what it could have been.


And if I sound like I know what I am talking about, I will let you in on a secret.  I have not a clue what any of that means, but just nodded my head when hubby was explaining what was going on.Smile and nod is my theory when it comes to anything to do with the car.

1 comment:

Mel said...

15 tows a month?! Wow.......at the cost of towing, that's a good deal in and of itself.

*laughing* I know all about the smile and nod deal. I do it myself on occasion--it works well! ;-)